Sunday, August 19, 2012

Life Changes


17-Mar-2012, along with my colleague went to Chennai to set up our new team. Since then it has been a fabulous experience for me. In 10 days, on 27-Mar-2012 my visa was approved. On 30-Mar-2012 I saw this approval notice in USCIS at 10:00 PM, after my usual dinner. I was overwhelmed (which was welcoming news to many) and excited. I had to wake up my parents at 22:30, who was overjoyed. It was a sleepless night. I was asked to follow up immediately to get my Visa stamped at the earliest. Vineeth and Jagan visited Chennai 13th and 14th April. We had a long night discussion. My stamping date came on 24-April-2012. The morning I got calls – ‘Many more happy returns’ & ‘All the best’. My interview was at 11:00 AM. I was there at the embassy by 10:30 AM. I don’t know why, when I was in this embassy I had this don’t care attitude, maybe I had learnt life by then . N11 was my token number and when I was called I was confronted to be interviewed by a tall guy. A few questions and by 11:15 my visa was approved – ‘A memorable birthday gift’. I was not even convinced that I got a visa. I came out, took an auto and went to my guest house. I had a shower and lunch by 3:00 PM. I went to office at 3:00 PM. Started getting calls on my travel preferences and the day was memorable one. At a moment all the instances which happened in my 26 years flashed like a comet. But except for a few office colleagues and close friends and my parents no one knew about this Visa stamping. I would like to get my passport to confirm news. On 26-April-2012 I got my stamped visa at Coimbatore office. On 27-April-2012 I left Chennai (as my one month tenure got over by then).


On 30-April-2012, I got to see my passport. I was asked to travel at the earliest. But I wanted to ensure that I don’t miss my sister’s marriage, on 16-May-2012. I was asked to travel on 18-May-2012. The next two weeks was sleepless and tiresome (but had happiness and enjoyment) – Sister marriage preparation, my purchases, my sister purchase (as she has to travel to Riyadh) and added to that the new house which I bought and the related commitments. Days went by – purchases happened well before that, packing was planned and my tickets were finalized by 10-May-2012. By then I got my house registered too. I owe my thanks to Jwala, Dad and Mom. They helped me a lot from purchasing to packing and advising. Special thanks to Vineeth and Jagan who helped me a lot with my Sister Marriage and my purchases. On 15-May-2012 (day before my Sister Marriage), I realized the unconditional love these people had on me. They never gave me up in front of any circumstance. They have been through my crest and trough like no one. I remember, 14-May-2012 when I was speaking to Vineeth till early morning. On 15-May-2012 I was ready for my Sister Marriage reception. I had many of my friends coming to wish. It was really a memorable moment. On 15-May-2012 I went to bed at 02:00 AM. By now, my packing is 90% done, sold my bike, and I was all ready. On 16-May-2012 I woke up my 5:00 AM and reached the mandap by 6:30 AM. After all the regular rituals my sister got married at 11:00 AM – affectionate tears, happiness, wishes, fun and frolic was filled in the air. My father was literally speechless for five minutes. I suddenly felt empty. Everyone started and by 11:00 PM everyone reached home. Next one day was rigorous travel preparation. I missed Jwala very much on 17-May-2012. She used to be around helping me in packing, asking me questions. By 18-May-2012 we went to Jwala’s in-law house in Coimbatore. It was her Birthday and that we went to wish her with a small gift. I was able to notice that she was very silent and matured. It looked like I saw my mom 20 years back. Even now my heart was filled with her and I missed her very much when we walked out of her house on 18-May-2012. My flight to Chennai was at 21:30 and that Jwala agreed to give me a send-off. She was to travel to Chennai on same night at 20:30. So I started by 18:00, picked up Jwala, went to airport by 19:30. After couple of minutes they left. I checked in my luggage for Chennai flight and was in the waiting area to see Vineeth and Jagan. They agreed to come by 20:00 and they came by 20:15. We had a coffee and chat for 30 minutes and all of us departed with a hug.


I reached Chennai by 22:30. It was an irritating atmosphere there to wait till 02:00 AM the next morning. I was allowed inside the international by 02:00 AM. I had to fly to Abu-Dhabi and my flight was scheduled at 05:30 AM. After the check-in, port of departure and regular security check I waited for nearly 2:30 hours inside the international terminal. I was not feeling well and was a disgusting situation. By 5:15 I boarded the flight. After a quick breakfast, I slept for 2 hours. I reached Abu-Dhabi by 9:30 AM local time. It was too hot but never felt so. I just got down, had two rounds of Security check and checked in to my Chicago flight which was at 11:30 AM local time. Didn’t even get time to look around the airport; Saw a few sky scrapers during takeoff and landing.


It was a long journey from there to Chicago. Same air-hostess, cramped seat and a small seat TV with some movies. I remember eating and sleeping every 4 hours. Suddenly this guy from Tehran next to me, asked how to use this TV (he was meddling with it all through the journey). I cleared him that we will reach US in next 1 hour and still he wants to see his T.V. As if he understood he nodded his head as he doesn’t know much of English. Finally he got to see an Iranian movie. I reached Chicago by 16:30. In my port of entry interview, the officer (a new one very obvious) was asking some questions and making calculation of my tenure here in US. This guy was calculating 11 months using his fingers for nearly 5 minutes – Wondering how far people go????? I was tired and just wanted to get some sleep. After the interview I checked out my luggage and checked in to my flight to Arkansas. In the domestic terminal, I had a good time roaming around airport. Finally I got to catch my 19:30 flight to Arkansas. Reached Bentonville by 20:30 (15 minutes earlier than expected). The flight hardly had 15 people, Coimbatore airport is far crowded. I didn’t even see a single human for nearly 15 minutes. After checking with a security officer (if it is an airport), I headed my way out. Arun was waiting near the checkout section to pick me. Reached home by 21:00, had food, watched some TV, informed my parents and went to bed by 23:30 CDT …


My experience here in US will be on strong learning note. Will be back soon, till then have a good one..


No comments:

Post a Comment